Message from the Dean – May 14, 2018

First some good news:
ACM@UCO Business Development Center manager Derek Brown and The Flaming Lips have been nominated for a Tony Award for the SpongeBob Broadway musical!

Department of Art faculty member, Michael Litzau was awarded an Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition (OVAC) Creative Projects Grant!

Now a story:

The most important stories are the ones voiced by our students. Over the course of the last week, as students have mused on the recently completed year, they have posted about their experiences. These unsolicited Facebook posts affirm why working in education is so worthwhile and rewarding.

“I listened to our recording of Maslanka’s Symphony No. 4 in Germany today for the very first time, and it got me thinking. This year I was fortunate enough to go to Germany, be one of the six collegiate jazz ensembles to attend the NextGen Jazz Festival in Monterey, California (and win!), record our own album in Crystal Clear Studios in Dallas, have a successful recital, and make strides in my progress as a musician. Now that the school year is over, and I’m getting ready to student teach and then graduate, I can easily say It’s been the best year of my life. There are so many fantastic experiences that I’ll never forget. But the most important aspect are the people that I got to spend it with. We’ll all eventually begin to go our separate ways, but I’ll never forget all the hilariously fun times that I’ve had. I wouldn’t trade it for anything, the good or the bad. Here’s looking forward to many more awesome moments.”– Max Reed

“Coming back from recording an album with arguably one of the best jazz bands in the country, I can’t help but think back to middle school when my parents kept telling me to practice for at least 30 minutes every day and me throwing a fit over it. Never realizing that practicing and working hard and getting better at playing the trumpet will lead me to traveling around the world and having opportunities to perform with some of the greatest musicians I’ve ever had the privilege of knowing. Music is such a wonderful thing God has bestowed on this planet and I’m so thankful that I get to live with it.” – Garrett Riff

“I was 22 years old teaching high school and middle school students. I’m 24 years old with a graduate degree in music education. To say I’m proud of myself is an understatement. I walked out of UCO two years ago saying I’d never go back to school because I was burnt out. Then I met 720 babies that made me want to be a better teacher for them. So, I went back. From teaching stuffed animals to teaching 4-year old’s all the way up to 18-year old’s, the difference I always wanted to make in the world is starting to become a reality.” – Jessica Shatswell

The CFAD story is always best told through the experiences of our students and graduates.

Have a wonderful summer!

Reply