Adjusting to life in college can be difficult. Often times, college students have to learn to do their own laundry, clean, shop for groceries, go to bed at a decent hour and cook for themselves. Not to mention, there’s class, friends, work, social obligations and more, which means no time to cook elaborate or healthy meals. Having no time adds up to living off of ramen and cereal or eating out for every meal.
These eating habits can get really expensive and (sigh) also extremely unhealthy. So, how do you somehow manage to eat healthily AND juggle the time crunch that got you into this mess in the first place?
Well, we don’t expect you to have all the answers, so we asked someone who has most of them. Meet Dr. Tawni Holmes, a nutrition professor, here at UCO.
“Choosing healthy options for meals and snacks, as well as getting enough calories and a variety of foods, will help you stay focused during study sessions, provide your brain the fuel it needs to keep you going and help keep you from getting sick -which no one has time for,” Holmes said.
Thanks, Dr. Holmes!
Taking that advice to heart, here are five recipes that can easily be made in your dorm without breaking the bank or the buttons on your pants.
- Mason Jar Greek Salad: This vitamin-packed salad is a great on-the-go option, when you may not have time to go back to your dorm during the day. Learn how to make this healthy “fast food” option.
- Upgraded Ramen: This is a great way to use the ramen that has been in the back of your closet all year. Get the recipe.
- Microwave Nachos: This is a little bit healthier version of your regular microwave nachos. Get the simple, but yummy, recipe.
- Mug Cheesecake: Who doesn’t love dessert? This homemade mug cheesecake is so simple to make and the perfect size for one! Get the recipe.
- No-Bake Cookies: This quick and easy dessert will make you the most popular person in your dorm! Find the recipe.
Forgot your lunch? Pinching pennies and minutes for the day? Check out Central Station, located in the Human Environmental Sciences building, just west of Broncho Lake. Open from 10:30 a.m. until 1:20 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays in the fall and Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays in the spring, Central Station features delicious, affordable and health-conscious meals, right on campus! Check the menu each week to see what they’ve got cookin’.
Eating healthy on a college budget and schedule can be difficult, but not impossible. We know you can do it! Happy health, Bronchos!